Saturday, October 18, 2008

Friends in Uganda!

I was so excited to hear that Brandi was going to be coming to Uganda. She and I graduated high school together, and it was crazy to meet up in Kampala! She is so passionate about caring for orphans - especially here in Africa. I love to hear her heart and the many ideas she has! It is always so encouraging to just be around her.
Here we are with a view of some of the city behind us.
I went with her and their whole team to Caring Hands. It is such a neat organization that reaches out to the local impoverished community. Along with many other things, Caring Hands offers a place for destitute widows and single moms to learn the trade of making paper beads. These beads are then fashioned into necklaces, bracelets, and belts. These women are then able to provide for themselves and their families. We heard several of their testimonies.
Here, they are making the paper beads. They use strips of paper that would have otherwise been garbage. As they roll it, the colors from the paper themselves are what eventually make the color of the jewelry. No paint is used. It was so interesting to watch!

It was so fun for me to spend a day with an old friend. Thanks for meeting up with me, Brandi, and for being the bearer of so many gifts from home! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you guys were able to see each other:)!! What a neat organization and to see what other ministries offer!! I love you so much and hope you enjoy your goodies! (this time they are all to yourself)! Hope you got some rest and enjoy your first day back from your break tomorrow!! Love you always, stephanie

Anonymous said...

I'm SO glad that worked out too! There so many that care so much about you Friend! We are all praying for you, and that dumb wireless to work again!!! :) Love you and miss you something awful!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Andrea,
How neat to see how God provides...a visit from a friend from Orlando!! Glad you all had such a good visit. Much love, Nancy.

Cara said...

HI, I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GLAD YOU ARE COMING BACK.COACH JESS IS A GRAET P.E. COACH.I LOVE SEEING HER EVERY DAY AT P.E.AND WE ALWAYS TALK ABOUT YOU AND HOW WE MISS YOU.WE TRYED TO CALL BUT YOU DIDN'T ANSWER.I HOPE I'LL SEE YOU SOON.
LOVE,
CARA